Friday 10 June 2011

The Kookaburra

I was chatting with a former student in China on Skype yesterday and I announced that a kookaburra had just landed on the back deck railing. A kookaburra?  He had no idea what I meant.  I tried to explain to him.  Today I sent him this video, as the kookaburra came back and I managed to get a few seconds of him before he flew away. 




The are rather aloof birds, and there are plenty of them around.  Usually they are shy, but will come close to humans for food, which is why this one was visiting.  I occasionally give him some mince meat.

They have a strong laugh - hence 'laughing kookaburra."  Following is a video complete with laugh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WE used to see them on Australia film news reels years ago.

peter

Di Hill said...

Yes, I too remember the news reels at the beginning of every film. Now just ads. Thanks for dropping by. D