Sunday 4 March 2012

International Women's Day

What I big day I had - I shared with fellow member of 5W the story of  Qiu Jin who is described as the "Chinese Joan of Arc" (1875 - 1907), a radical women's rights activist who defied tradition to become the leader of a revolutionary army in China.

She was a prolific writer and also wrote

"With all my heart I beseech and beg
my two hundred million female compatriots
to assume their responsibility as citizens.
Arise! Arise! Chinese women, arise!

This is from the website www.autumn-gem.com - and I recommend that readers purchase the DVD of the documentary.  It is fascinating.

I have a special connection with Qui Jin, but I regret I did not know the story until I had left China.  In Jie Fang Lu, Shaoxing, Zhejiang Province China, is a statue, that says something like Qui Jin, Martyr in English and other words in Chinese.

I did know that there was a museum to honour her, but I didn't get there.  It is not far from the statue, but I was not taken there, nor did I hear anything about her.

It is on my bucket list.  I must go and see the museum.

However, I was able to share the story with my friends from 5W yesterday, and afterwards we went to the China City Seafood Restaurant, on the ground floor of the Chifley Hotel, in the Mall, for Yum Cha.

I had another function in the city in the afternoon - a Writing Workshop with Thea Biesheuvel for the Society of Women Writers, Queensland.


No comments: