Monday 21 December 2009

Holidays and Christmas Preparation

005

It is always a strange time of year. I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas. In a way I love it but it is rather stressful. Everyone wants to do the right thing, especially get the right gift, and try to keep all family members happy.

This year we are having our Christmas dinner at our place, and it is a little complicated in that I am house sitting - some 30 minutes from home.

I go from one house to another, trying to keep things in order in both places. Including looking after the ripening figs.

This year we found so many fruit on the fig tree and right now the fruit are ripening. For me it is a race to let them ripen naturally and harvest them before the fruit bats and birds get to them.

And then what to do with the fruit?

I have in the past made jam, and may well do so this time, but last night I created a great dessert. Here is my Baked Fig and Clotted Cream Recipe.

Wash and dry the figs (about 5 for each person)
Put in an overproof bowl with stems facing up (I packed them in tight so they could not fall over.)
Sprinkle with Demerara sugar

Bake in medium oven for 30 minutes.

Tonight there will be a slight variation. I'll report later on the success or otherwise of that.

Add clotted cream and serve.

YUMMY!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes it is stressful, but we see all th grandchildren on Christmas day, so it is great in that respect.

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas, Di.

has been astressful year with our particular commitments.

Regards,

eter