Tuesday 21 September 2010

House sitting and studying

While in many ways I'd like to be teaching in China right now - I am house sitting and studying.  In the last week I was in China, I met with a former student who asked me why I was not returning to China for this semester, and I told her I was going to university. 

"Why?" she asked seriously, "You already have much knowledge."

I found her response amusing.  In China it is uncommon for anyone to keep studying unless they are already at university or need to study to improve their qualifications.  Doing it for other reasons does not make sense, and few older people tackle such study.

And so it is that I have enrolled in a Master of Arts (Writing) through Swinburne University in Melbourne. The course is all "on-line" - or in the CD's that were posted to me.

It will be hard going - but a good use of time as I am not keen to work at the moment.

I am in regular contact with Chinese friends - students and teachers from Yuexiu, or graduates.  I still feel connected and they still get English lessons from me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck Di!


peter