Thursday 19 February 2009

Adjusting

I've spoken with others that have returned from the Teaching in China adventure, and we all agree that it does take some adjusting BACK to life.

At first I felt it was jet lag and stress, but it is more than that I think. For a start, as overwhelming as the crowds were in China, it is weird walking in a street at home in Australia and not seeing anyone. A sort of discomfort in a way.

The other thing that I can't get over is the obese people here. OK, I know I'm not skinny, but after not seeing many overweight people in China, is sort of screams at you here. Here it is over a month after returning home, and my eyes spy grossyly overweight people and I feel most uncomfortable. And I notice that so many of these grossly overweight people are doing huge piles of food at food outlets at the shopping centre. I see older grossly overweight women walking with the aid of a stick. Perhaps some have a genuine health problem that CAUSED their gross size, but I doubt it for most.

I've been visiting a hospital daily - my husband had open heart surgery a week ago - and I have seen so many grossly overweight people wandering around the hospital - inpatients and outpatients.

What are we doing. Yes "we" - as I too should lost a few more kilos. And I'm trying. I did in fact lose 13 kgs while in China - and I will struggle as usual to keep it off.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I have spent so much time focusing on others in the last month that I have done very little for me, and it will be a while before I can settle down and makie some decision.

Everyone asks me if I will return to China. The answer is quite clearly, "yes, I do want to return" but it is not as simple as that. If it was only up to me, I'd go as soon as possible, but I have family and other commitments so I will just have to wait and see.

I'm keen to explore "nursing English" opportunities in China too. Maybe a short trip to have a look at that later.

In the mean time I just manage one day at a time, until such time as my husband is further advanced in his recovery.

From next week I will be able to get out and visit friends - something that I have not had the opportunity to do over the past few weeks.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Obesity is a worry right through the West, but particularly bad here in NZ - with our large polynesian and to a lesser extent, our maori population.


Cheers Di,

peter