Sunday 17 August 2008

Another book "Falling Leaves"

In my quest to further understand the Chinese I've read a few books - and this one "Falling Leaves" answered a few more questions for me. This book written by Adeline Yen Mah, and published by Penguin was an excellent read, and once again, I found it interesting to read about places that I had become more familiar with, from my visit to China.

How difficult a life did Adeline have? The book is described as being about her life, as an unwanted daughter. When her own mother died, and her father remarried, she suffered so much at the hands of her step mother. Indeed it seems the whole family turned against her.

That in the end she was a successful career woman is extra ordinary, and a great tribute to her amazing strength.

One of the special features of the book, that I enjoyed was the explanation of Chinese sayings. For example, she explained the success of her father who was known in business circules as "'the miracle boy' who had the power of dian tie cheng jin (converting iron into gold)."

Certainly it was a very good read, and I couldn't put it down. Again more of the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that is helping me understand the Chinese.

"Falling Leaves" The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter" by Adeline Yen Mah.



No comments: