Thursday 10 January 2008

A New Adventure

Several years ago I completed a degree at Griffith University - a Ba of Adult and Vocational Teaching (as it turns out majoring in Literacy and Numeracy), and all along I have been interested in teaching English. I did a little literacy tutoring - but my first client was difficult. Seldom turning up, and wasting my time so I gave it up at the time.

Some months ago I started researching Teaching English overseas, and late in the year started a TESOL course. TESOL is Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. I have spent a lot of time researching and feel that I could be well suited to a program of Teaching Medical English to use my nursing knowledge. So I set out to do the course. I have completed some of it on-line, and am currently doing the in-class component of the course at Teach International.

Some time ago when I was speaking with the folk who own the house that I am housesitting while they are overseas, Mr G put me in touch with his sister who works for a college that trains and finds employment for TESOL teachers, and organises work experience and volunteering and cultural exchanges.

I made contact with them advising them that I would be in touch when I had done my studies, but I was surprised to receive an email from them asking me to submit my CV, which I did.
An interview followed and the prospect of employment at a school in Shaoxing, China, was discussed.

Last night I finished the first day of the Teach International in class component of the TESOL Course. During the day I received a phone call and more information about the position in Shaoxing, and I have committed to making a decision and completing the documents by next Tuesday.

This is the start of a new adventure for me. Hence the new blog.

No comments: