Tuesday, 6 January 2009

Dressmakers in China


Some of the other teachers here had discovered Chinese dressmakers. They are quite extra ordinary - making clothes of quite good design with no pattern. For we ladies, it is quite an experience.

Many of the dressmakers are in little "shops" which are about the same size as a single garage. It is usually filled with lots of fabric. In winter the heavier fabric is on display, and in summer the light weight fabrics appear.

They have books with designs and patterns, but I've yet to see a pattern in use. It works like this.

First of all - find the design you want - you can even bring a magazine, or draw it yourself. Then select your fabric and then negotiate the price. There is some room for bartering, but essentially I have accepted the price.

Then the dressmaker gets out her tape measure and measures every inch of your body - at least where the garment is going to be! And it is written down - and with any luck you will be ready to get her to proceed. Sometimes there might be negotiation on price at this point as variations are discussed. Lining? Pockets here? Then the price is settled and a deposit is requested. Often we happily pay 50% or more.

I might add this is all done without much talking. The dressmaker will only speak Chinese, and my Chinese is very minimal. But somehow we manage to understand one another.

Then the huge calendar appears and a finish date is negotiated. A receipt with details of the order, and deposit paid is provided.

When you return the garment is usually hanging from a rack dangling from the ceiling - and with a hook it is located. Try on? I think we are so used to undressing and trying the garment on in a tiny corner of the shop, and often other customers (all Chinese). Everyone offers comment or suggestion.

Sometimes an alteration is required. Other times all is OK, and one can depart with the finished goods. Mostly we are are satisfied, but sometimes we've had to go back for further alterations of fixing up.

I have used two dressmakers - Jing and Tian. Jing is my favourite - she speaks no English and I found her by myself on the ground floor of the fabric market. I chose her because she had personality and I thought I could get on well with her, which proved to be correct. She's been great.

Another one who has been popular with teachers here is Tian, who works out of a dingy shop front in the middle of a rather low class lane. She's easy to get on with and has a sense of humour but I have been less satisfied with her work.

I'd like to get Jing to make me a coat - but as I have little need for a coat (in Queensland) I've not done so, but if I come back...................




9 comments:

Christian said...

Hi, I would love their details please, would that be possible?

Di Hill said...

No - I could not explain how I get there. I do not know there address.
If you are going to be in Shaoxing in February 2010 I may be there and you can come with me.

Di Hill said...

No - I could not explain how I get there. I do not know there address.
If you are going to be in Shaoxing in February 2010 I may be there and you can come with me.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I know this might be a bit off topic but seeing that a bunch of you own websites, where would the best place be to host. Someone recommended I use [url=http://bit.ly/aTAtZb]Blue Host[//url] for $6.95 a month which seems like a great deal. Anyone here on www.blogger.com using them?

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am Sabrina Rojas, Affiliate Executive of usainstantpayday.com, world’s largest bad credit loans community. I came across to your site and I must say that you have got an amazing site that has attracted a lot of visitors including me. I would be glad if you join our affiliate program because your site has full potential to send traffic to my website.
The highlights of our program are:
1. Absolutely FREE registration.
2. You put up a banner or text link or lead sign up form on your site/blog/forum and send traffic from your site/blog/forum to our website. You can also promote via means of email marketing, PPC, telemarketing, etc
3. We will pay you $25 for each lead. (Affiliates are earning up to $1500 per week with our program)
Please note that we try to contact the leads 7 times before marking it a dead lead.
So what are you waiting for? Join Bad Credit Loans Program and earn dollars!! http://www.usainstantpayday.com
For more questions please visit [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]http://www.usainstantpayday.com[/url]
This Program will definitely help both of us mutually. You send your potential visitors to our site and we pay you for this.
Please note that for doing email marketing you need to approve the email from us as we do not want any kind of spam activities to take place.
Looking forward for a long term business relation
Thanks,

Sabrina Rojas
sabrina@usainstantpayday.com
Affiliate Executive
http://www.usainstantpayday.com

Anonymous said...

Hello everybody, I just signed up on this splendid discussion board and wanted to say hello! Have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

my friend told me about this forum so i decided to sign up.

hopefully i can participate in some lively discussions here!

i hope i get to know you all soon!

[IMG]http://www.trueimagehost.com/1/m/47xFMd46ie7B/blank.gif[/IMG]

Anonymous said...

Depending on what your destination is and how long you plan on making your trip for, the airfare may be the priciest expense. Because of this, finding a great deal on the airfare becomes extremely important. The more money you are able to save on the plane tickets, the more money you will be able to use toward your actual vacation.

When it comes to purchasing your airline tickets, the sooner the better. This goes for basically anywhere you plan on traveling. When you purchase a ticket sooner, lets say several months before the trip, there will be less of a demand, which will drive the price of the ticket down. However, on the flip side, as the day of the desired flight approaches, the flight's seats will begin to fill up. As fewer and few seats become available, the higher the demand will be, which will drive the price up. Booking the flight in as far advance as you can may save you hundreds of dollars in the long run.

Flying during the middle of the week is generally the cheapest time to fly. Fewer people travel during mid week than on Friday through Sunday. If at all possible, fly out on a Tuesday or Wednesday. You may actually find prices significantly less expensive on the Wednesday than the Sunday of the same week.

Looking for airfare online will probably be your best be at securing the cheapest possible flight price. There are multiple booking agencies which specialize in finding the cheapest airfare. However, to save time, go to Bing.com, which offers a comprehensive flight search option. Bing will search other travel sites (Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, etc.) and display the cheapest flight form each site. From here you will be able to decide which website offers the best deal.

Students can often find discounted airfare by visiting STA.com. This is the Student Travel Association, and it can sometimes find less expensive airfare for the traveling student. This isn't always the case, but it doesn't hurt to look.

[url=http://cheapairtickets.qarri.com/]Tips and tricks for cheap air tickets[/url]

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.